12½ Polish Easter eggs (pisanki)

Have you ever tried natural dye for your Easter eggs? Try this Polish method, to give your eggs a deep maroon hue.

Advertisements

Image

Pisanka (or plural: pisanki) is a name for eggs decorated especially for Easter. There are many various techniques for decorating Easter eggs.
Today, I’m introducing one of the traditional ways, boiling eggs in a decoction of plants or other natural products. In this case: onion peels.
Let’s get started! ^^

WHAT WE NEED?

Image

eggs
onion peels
big pot
inner tube from a bicycle wheel (or elastic bands)

HOW TO MAKE?

1. Cut the inner tube in strips. We will use the strips to make decorations on eggs. You can cut some patterns in the strips.

Image

2. Place the strips over the eggs. This way the space under the strips remain white (after coloring).

Image

3. Boil eggs with onion peels in a big pot. Add enough water to cover the eggs.

Image

4. Cook for about about 10 minutes, then remove from the pot.

Image

5. Remove the strips from eggs. And we’ve got awesome patterns! ^^
In my family we also decorate eggs using crayons, pastels or paint. I used to love doing that when I was a kid! My family’s tradition is to decorate eggs on Saturday morning (before Easter Sunday), right before going to church with the Easter basket.
Our workshop this year:

Image

Image

yes, I even made an FC Barcelona Easter egg, especially for my brother.
And a Korean egg, for tensai 🙂

And my Easter basket this year ^^

Image

Happy Easter, everyone!

aho&tensai

1. So cool…I’m doing this!!!

2. I love that you shared a recipe for dying eggs with natural products! Especially if people plan on eating them afterwards! Thanks!

3. cookingwithsapana April 1, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Hi , I have nominated you for Versatile Blogger Award.Check it out here
    Congratulations!

1. omg! thank you so much! I’m honored 😉

4. That’s clever to use the bands to break up the colour! I’ve made them using dyes before but not thought of this. Hope you had a good Easter.

1. that is my mother’s method 😉 they look nicer with white stripes, right? ^^

5. So cute! Must try this next year. Hope you had a great Easter weekend!

6. I have never seen eggs done that way before! So interesting and cool!

7. Reblogged this on Versatile Blogger Award and commented:
    A little late for this year, but for next; it’s early!

8. Great idea this one, congrats! I like the mixture of thai and polish cuisine 🙂
    ….and thank you for visiting and liking my Italian Blog too!

9. Beautiful eggs! I know I’m a bit late, but happy Easter:)

10. I love the ones with the onion skins and the rubber bands! cool idea!

11. […] peels, cooked together with eggs, will give the egg shells beautiful, maroon colour. Have a look here. With the eggs painted, a family prepares a basket which will be taken to church on the Easter […]