Summer is coming to an end, which I was reminded of this gloomy Monday morning. Believe it or not, but I am actually not complaining. Autumn is by far my favourite season, especially if it’s rainy. Can you imagine a more perfect weather for reading books and cosying up by a fireplace? But let’s not get ahead of ourselves – there are still over ten days of August to be enjoyed!
If there’s a cake that’s perfect for a lazy afternoon with a cup of tea, it would be it. Lemon Drizzle cake, everyone, to bring a bit of zing and sunshine into the kitchen. Happy baking!
Lemon Drizzle Cake
for the cake
230g flour, sifted
11⁄2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 lemon, zested
for the drizzle
90g caster sugar
HOW TO MAKE?
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a bowl, beat together butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, this will take about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, each time with a bit of flour, and slowly mix everything.
- Sift the remaining flour and add to the bowl, together with lemon zest. Mix until combined.
- Line a loaf tin with baking parchment and spoon the cake mixture in. Level with a spatula.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Prepare the drizzle. Mix together lemon juice and sugar, until most of it dissolves.
- Prick the warm cake all over with a wooden skewer, and pour over the drizzle. It’ll look like too much, but use it all. The drizzle will sink in, and some of the sugar will stay on top, forming a nice topping.
- Leave the cake in a tin until cooled completely. Enjoy with a cup of tea or freeze for up to one month.
Looking perfect ❤️
It looks and sounds wonderful!
I need a slice right now with my morning cuppa joe. 🍋🍂☕️
Sending one! 🍰
Thanks very much. 🍃🍋🍞
Can’t beat a lemon drizz! 😍