Izaura is the cake my Mum used to make the most often, I think. I have always thought it was super easy to make until I tried doing it myself. I was surprised that it requires quite a bit of work. but it’s totally worth it though.
My Mum’s chocolate cheesecake, try it yourself 😉
for chocolate sponge
2 cups* flour
1,5 cup sugar
3 tbsp good quality cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
20g vanilla sugar
for the cheese batter
700g curd cheese
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp potato starch
desiccated coconut for decoration
HOW TO MAKE?
1. Preheat the oven, 190 degrees. Prepare the chocolate sponge. Add the butter, cocoa powder, sugar and vanilla sugar to a small saucepan with 5 tbsp of water and boil for about 5 minutes, stirring all the time. Leave it to chill down.
2. When chilled, pour off about half a glass of the sauce; we will use it later for glazing the cake. To the sauce left in the saucepan add 4 egg yolks and mix thoroughly, until smooth. Mix in the flour, baking powder and egg whites beaten earlier until fluffy. Pour the mixture into the 20×20 baking tin.
3. Prepare the cheese batter. If your curd cheese is firm, you should mince it using meat mincer. It’ll be much smoother and nicer if you do so.
4. Separate egg whites from yolks. Beat the egg whites until fluffy. Mix the egg yolks and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Still mixing, gradually add butter (room temperature) and mix until the batter is very smooth. Add 1 tbsp of potato starch to your minced cheese and add it into the egg and sugar mixture. Mix thoroughly with an electric mixer.
5. Finally, add the beaten egg whites, spoon it slowly to the bowl with a mixture while still mixing.
6. Add the cheese batter to the form with chocolate sponge. Spoon by spoon, until all the chocolate sponge is covered with the cheese mixture.
7. Bake for about 60 minutes in 190 degrees.
8. After the cake is baked, set it aside to chill for a bit. When chilled, take it delicately out of the form and glaze it with previously prepared chocolate glaze (the one we left out at the beginning of preparing chocolate sponge; you can heat it up or microwave if cold). Sprinkle the desiccated coconut on top.
*again, by cup i don’t mean American cup but a 200ml cup/glass just use the same cup/glass for all the measurements and you should be fine.