We all find ourselves in a situation when dinner has to be done in 15minutes, we are too lazy to embark on a trip to a local supermarket and just don’t feel like cooking at all. But what to do, if the our stomach sounds like a brass band, letting us know with loud and bubbling sound that indeed, it’s dinner time.
After inspecting the contents of my kitchen cupboards yesterday, here’s what I found: a tin of tuna, some dried pasta (I’d be much happier if it was wholegrain, but what to do), celery, garlic, tomatoes, some rocket and sunflower seeds. I looked at all this stuff and thought to myself: pasta it is! Without further ado I proceeded to making this impromtu (and zero waste!) dinner and voila! 20minutes later we were both digging into aromatic tomato sauce.
PASTA WITH TOMATO, TUNA AND SUNFLOWER SEEDS
1 tin of tuna (in oil)
1 tin of tomatoes
3 garlic cloves
3 celery sticks
1 red pepper
1 red chilli or 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
freshly ground black pepper
parmesan to serve
How to make?
1. Chop the onion and garlic. Thinly slice the celery sticks. Chop the red pepper and chilli finely. Preheat the deep frying pan, add some olive oil or the oil from the tuna and chopped onion, garlic, celeriac and peppers. Fry until soften.
2. Add tuna and fry until fragrant.
3. Add chopped tomatoes together with the juice. You can add 1-2tsp tomato concentrate, if you wish.
4. Cover with the lid and let it simmer on low heat for 5-7 minutes.
5. Cook your pasta according to the instruction on the packaging.
6. When pasta is almost cooked, add a ladle or two of the pasta water to the tomato sauce. Stir thoroughly.
7. Add herbs to the sauce, together with salt and pepper.
8. Mix boiled pasta with the sauce. Served with fresh rocket and a handful of sunflower seeds. Add grated parmesan if you wish.