Do you like shortbread? Sure you do, who doesn’t? ^^ Introducing Jammie Dodgers, famous British biscuits. That’s what I’d call a perfection: two pieces of soft and buttery shortbread joined together with (seedless) raspberry jam. Yum!
And it’s so much fun to make them as well! ^^
250g butter, room temperature
130g icing sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
380g flour plus extra for dusting
extra icing sugar, for sprinkling
1 jar of seedless raspberry or blackberry jam
HOW TO MAKE?
1. Place the butter in a large mixing bowl and beat with your electric mixer, until fluffy and almost white. Add icing sugar and beat for a bit longer, until nice and smooth. Mix in an egg yolk and vanilla extract.
2. Prepare a pastry board. Add the flour onto it and then the mixture from the bowl. Knead the dough quickly. It’ll be very soft and a bit sticky but try not to add too much flour (the biscuits will turn out too hard if you add too much flour).
3. When your dough is ready, wrap it into some cling film and put in the fridge for about an hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees and prepare the baking sheets.
5. Take the dough out from the fridge and put it back on the (dusted with flour) pastry board. Roll the dough out to about 3mm thick. Using a biscuit cutter or a glass (I used a cognac glass, I don’t have a round biscuit cutter), cut out the circles. Remember to dip the cutter/glass you’re using in the flour so it won’t stick to the dough. Using a mini-heart cutter, cut out little hearts in half of your biscuits.
6. Line your biscuits on the previously prepared baking sheets and place in the oven. Bake for about 7-8 minutes, they should only be slightly golden. If you leave them in the oven for too long, they will be too hard and crispy.
7. Move the biscuits to a wire rack to let them cool.
8. When chilled, assemble Jammie Dodgers. Take one biscuit without the hole in the middle, add about a teaspoon of jam and cover it with a biscuit with a heart-shaped hole in the middle. Press lightly. Set aside and repeat with all your biscuits.
9. Sprinkle your biscuits with icing sugar (using a small sieve). Usually they taste best after few hours or next day. The jam will soften the cookies nicely.
Wersja polska przepisu, specjalnie dla polskich Czytelników ^^