I visited Poland for Christmas. I thought my Mum cannot surprise me with her cooking (it’s always excellent) but she managed to leave me stunned. She made this pork stew with homemade tagliatelle, trust me, after two fully loaded plates, I was full but still craving it. Amazing, delicate flavour combined with slow cooked meat and homemade pasta – heaven.
VEGETABLE AND PORK STEW WITH TAGLIATELLE
1kg pork shoulder
1/2 small celeriac
5 small shallots
100ml sour cream
HOW TO MAKE?
1. Cut the meat into small cubes. Dry the meat with a kitchen towel. Heat up a thick-bottomed pot on a medium heat, when hot, throw the meat in. Don’t add any oil, pork shoulder should be fat enough to release fat needed for cooking it.
2. Cook the meat, stirring it all the time, until it’s thoroughly cooked. The meat will give out some water. When that happens, don’t get rid of it, decrease the heat under the saucepan, cover it with a lid and slow cook for about 30 minutes, stirring from time to time.
3. After that time (if the meat is soft), add the vegetables, cut into small cubes. Don’t add the shallots yet. Still don’t add any seasonings. Cook the vegetables with meat until they will become soft.
4. Add shallots, cut only in half. Cook everything for a little longer.
5. In a bowl, mix together sour cream, 2 tsp paprika powder, 1 tsp turmeric powder, salt and pepper. When well combined, add to the pot with vegetables and meat.
6. Let it simmer for a little bit.
7. Serve with (ideally) homemade pasta tagliatelle, sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley.